[Nut-upsuser] Starting Network UPS Tools: (upsdrvctl failed) upsd upsmon ?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Mar 24 12:28:15 CET 2007

> I wonder whether this communication error message may be related to the
> howto assuming that a user 'upsl' exists, while 'nut' only configures a
> user 'nut'.

No. It will complain in case of permissions problems, but this is not what
is happening here.

> I am new to 'nut' so any hints are welcome. I have no clue why
> upsdrvctl fails when I start nut when it first starts properly by itself.

You can't start a driver multiple times for the same UPS. So if you ran
'upsdrvctl start', the script '/etc/init.d/nut start' (that will do so
also) will fail. You need to run 'upsdrvctl stop' first, if the driver is
running already for whatever reason.

> # upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
> Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.4)

You may want to upgrade to the latest stable version (2.0.5), although
this doesn't seem to be related to the problem you're having.

> # /etc/init.d/nut start
> Starting Network UPS Tools: (upsdrvctl failed) upsd upsmon.

See above. This script attempts to start the UPS driver through
'upsdrvctl', but since it is already running, this fails. A well behaved
startup script would check for a successful startup of the driver and
would have terminated here. Why it isn't, is beyond me.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands