[Nut-upsuser] Sweex 1000VA UPS (was: powermust usb)

Peter van Valderen p.v.valderen at probu.nl
Sun May 20 03:23:12 UTC 2007

--- Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:

> > I also did:
> >
> > # ./megatec_usb -DDDDD -x vendor=06da -x mfr=OMRON
> > /dev/usb/hiddev0
>
> Please have a look at 'man 8 megatec_usb' again.
>
> You probably need to specify the '-x vendorid' and
> '-x productid' options
> and most likely, the 'subdriver' as well. I think
> the following might be
> more appropriate:
>
> ./megatec_usb -DDDDD -x vendorid=06da -x
> productid=0003 subdriver=agiler
> (or krauler)
>
> Note that using the serial interface, is for the
> moment probably the best
> option.

Recently I purchased a Sweex 1000 VA UPS, which apparently is not like
the Sweex that was already supported by Nut. This one has an USB
interface only...

Nothing really seemed to work, until I ran across this topic.
megatec_usb seems to do _something_ to it, which is more than I can
say of any of the other drivers I tried. However, it seems the
protocol this UPS uses is not yet supported.

Here is the output I got from megatec_usb:

# /usr/local/ups/bin/megatec_usb -DDDDD -x vendorid=0925 -x
productid=1234 -x subdriver=agiler /dev/hiddev0
Network UPS Tools 2.1.0 - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.3 [megatec_usb]
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007

Serial-over-USB transport layer for Megatec protocol driver [megatec_usb]

debug level is '5'
Checking device (0925/1234) (001/005)
- VendorID: 0925
- ProductID: 1234
- Manufacturer: ?
- Product: UPS USB MON V1.4
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Starting UPS detection process...
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
5 out of 5 detection attempts failed (minimum failures: 2).
Megatec protocol UPS not detected.

# /usr/local/ups/bin/megatec_usb -DDDDD -x vendorid=0925 -x
productid=1234 -x subdriver=krauler /dev/hiddev0
Network UPS Tools 2.1.0 - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.3 [megatec_usb]
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007

Serial-over-USB transport layer for Megatec protocol driver [megatec_usb]

debug level is '5'
Checking device (0925/1234) (001/005)
- VendorID: 0925
- ProductID: 1234
- Manufacturer: ?
- Product: UPS USB MON V1.4
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
Starting UPS detection process...
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
get_data_krauler: got data: (
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
get_data_krauler: got data: (
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
get_data_krauler: got data: (
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
get_data_krauler: got data: (
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
Attempting to detect the UPS...
Sending "Q1" command...
get_data_krauler: got data: (
Wrong answer to "Q1" command.
5 out of 5 detection attempts failed (minimum failures: 2).
Megatec protocol UPS not detected.

I tried to do some reverse engineering myself, however I am a very
novice programmer so that didn't do a whole lot of good.

Does anyone have any idea where I could go from here?

Thanks,

Peter van Valderen
Eindhoven