[Nut-upsuser] Belkin USB UPSes

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Fri May 25 05:28:03 UTC 2007

Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev at gmail.com>:
> long time no see,

Hm? We've met before?  Sorry, I'm not recalling it.

> 2007/5/17, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com>:
> >I just bought a pair of Belkin USB UPSes -- F6C1200-UNV and F6C550-AVR --
>
> you might have preferred a FLOSS friendly UPS, but I know you prefer
> the hard way ;-)

No, I just didn't know which ones were FLOSS-friendly when I was at the
computer store. :-)  I picked the Belkins because I liked their case-design
hack of putting the plugs on the top surface, which is more accessible
than the uusual rear-of-the-unit placement.

In any case, the device more or less seems to work with the megatec_usb
driver.  Or it did, anyway -- with latest trunk it's not finding the USB
device.

sr at snark:~/svn/nut/trunk$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0665:5161       <---- that's it
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:000

root at snark:/home/esr/svn/nut/trunk# /usr/bin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.1.0 (916M)
Network UPS Tools 2.1.0 (916M) - Megatec protocol driver 1.5.3 [megatec_usb]
Carlos Rodrigues (c) 2003-2007

Serial-over-USB transport layer for Megatec protocol driver [megatec_usb]

Megatec protocol UPS not detected.
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

System log has many entries that say:

May 24 12:18:37 snark kernel: [136718.407859] usb 3-2: usbfs: process 26061 (megatec_usb) did not claim interface 0 before use

How do I troubleshoot this?

By the way, see where it says "2.1.0 (916M)" there?  Thst's my patch to include
SVN revision in the version string operating.  As soon as I actually get
nut working again, I'll ship it to you.

> As a side note, I'm working on integrating NUT USB driver with HAL.
> A deb called nut-hal-drivers is also generated. Ping me for more info
> if needed, I'm sure you'll be fond of the ease of use of this
> "feature".

Maybe.  Are you going to fix things so that nut is inoked and automatically
configures itself when a user plugs in a USB UPS?  Because if not, I have some
ideas and even code to contribute towards that.  I made it happpen in gpsd.