[Nut-upsuser] installing nut for Mac OS X

steve harley garbanzito at mac.com
Thu May 31 22:24:26 UTC 2007

On Thursday, May 31, 2007, at 02:08PM, "Charles Lepple" <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 5/31/07, steve harley <garbanzito at mac.com> wrote:
>> i'd like to install nut on Mac OS X 10.4.9; i can't seem to get the Fink install to work (notes below), and i'm only semi-facile at command line installs; is installing nut on Mac OS X as simple as "make install" and no dependencies? if not is there a summary of what i'd need to do?
>
>The tricky part about installing on OS X is the integration with the
>shutdown system. I currently have a laptop running OS X, and my Cube
>just kicked the bucket, so I have not spent the time to figure out how
>to have the OS call NUT's shutdown script at the right time to turn
>off the UPS at the battery-low signal.

hmm, i suppose i will want to shut down, but my main goal is to be able to query the status of the UPS so i can instigate the shutdown of a remote Mac OS (cringe) 8.6 server

>Strange. By "fully up-to-date", you mean that you have run "fink
>selfupdate" since installing?

yes, several times ...

>Also, is this 10.4.9 system an upgrade from 10.3?

yes it is; your question prodded me to try installing Fink fresh on another machine -- nut showed up right away, and seems to have installed properly, so i must have bungled the gesticulations for updating Fink -- thanks for the nudge, though!

>What does "fink --version" return?

on the installation that _did_ list nut:

Package manager version: 0.24.17
Distribution version: 0.8.1

on the installation that _did not_ list nut:

Package manager version: 0.27.1
Distribution version: 0.8.0.rsync powerpc

(the difference in the package manager versions is odd)