[Nut-upsuser] PowerWare 9120 via USB?

Tobias Balle-Petersen tbp at kontrapunkt.com
Fri Nov 2 12:00:46 UTC 2007

Hello...

I have a PowerWare 9120 attached via USB to my Debian system.

My ups.conf looks like this:
[ups1]
        driver = bcmxcp_usb
        port = auto
        desc = "PowerWare 9120"

When testing the driver with "upsdrvctl -u root start" I get:
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.4
Network UPS Tools - BCMXCP UPS driver 0.10 (2.0.4)
Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): BLOCK: 0, COMMAND: 31!
Communications with UPS lost: checksum error!
Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): BLOCK: cb, COMMAND: 31!
Model = PW9120 3000VA
Firmware = 02.60
Shutdown delay =  120 seconds
Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): BLOCK: fa, COMMAND: 3c!
Communications with UPS lost: Receive error (Request command): BLOCK: 81, COMMAND: 33!

When looking at the combatability chart at http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html it
seems the PW9120 is supported by the bcmxcp driver and not bcmxcp_usb. I have however found
suggestions that bcmxcp_usb supports the 9120:
http://osdir.com/ml/monitoring.nut.user/2006-04/msg00054.html

I have a SNMP card in the 9120, but my understanding is that the NUT SNMP-driver does not allow the
UPS to be shut down. This is why I am now turning to USB.

Any ideas as to how I can get my setup running?

Thank you,
Tobias Balle-Petersen