[Nut-upsuser] PowerWare 9120 via USB?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Nov 8 12:58:06 UTC 2007

>> Have you tried the serial connection?
> No, there is no serial port on my machine.

If you have one, a serial-to-USB converter is a cheap solution to add one.
Many (not all) are supported by recent kernels.

>> 1) Apparently, this UPS needs to be told only to reply to specific
>> requests and not send unsollicited status updates. The bcmxcp (serial)
>> driver supposedly does this, the bcmxcp_usb (USB) doesn't. However, the
>> UPS remembers the last status, so this might help.
> This is also the impression I got from reading the discussion I linked to
> in my original post. Since this was not mentioned, I assumed that was not
> the issue.

It might be. But since this is not 'my' driver and I honestly don't know.
And at the very least it would be able to help us pinpoint where the
problem is located.

> So, if I am able to connect the UPS to a machine using the serial
> connector, what do I need to do to disable the sending of unsollicitated
> status updates?

I don't know. If it would be easy to add, I guess it already would be in
the bcmxcp_usb driver.

Best regards, Arjen