[Nut-upsuser] PowerWare 9120 via USB?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Nov 8 14:53:17 UTC 2007

> Hello all.
>
> I have now connected the UPS via a serial-cable to a PC running Debian
> Etch and Nut 2.0.4.
>
> When running "upsdrvctl -u root start" I get:
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS lost: Error executing command
> Communications with UPS re-established
> Connect to UPS on /dev/ttyS0 baudrate 9600
> Model = PW9120 3000VA
> Firmware = 02.60
> Shutdown delay = 120 seconds
>

> Is this the OK? Can I ignore the first errors?

That's the baud hunting function trying to figure out at which speed it
should talk to the UPS. Older versions of this driver were not very clear
in what they were doing during this detection. Newer drivers will report
what they are doing and the man page now documents how to make the driver
start at the correct speed immediately:

	"Communication speed for the UPS. If this is set to 9600, it try
	 to connect to the UPS on 9600bps. If it fails to communicate, it
	 go into baudhunting. It start at 1200 and up to 19200. If it
	 succeed it tell you the speed it connect with. If not included
	 in the config it default's to baudhunting."

Adding 'baudrate = 9600' to the 'ups.conf' entry for this UPS should fix
this.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands