[Nut-upsuser] Incorrect 'low battery' detected with Back-UPS XS 1200 (newhidups)

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Nov 17 15:28:10 UTC 2007

> I just discoverd NUT and I'm lovin' it. I was very successful getting
> nut to monitor a CyberPower UPS along with having a Linux slave for a
> friend of mine. I've come to a snag on my personal system though. I
> currently have two Back-UPS XS 1200 APC UPSs, and I'm seeing
> notifications of low battery on both units.
>
> Now, both units are not showing 'low battery' on the physical units,
> and they are definitely holding a charge. Also, I'm noticing that temp
> is 'off'. I was wondering if someone can help me out with this problem.
>
> I'm currently using the newhidups driver. Here is my output from upsc
>
> battery.charge: 1
> battery.charge.low: 1
> battery.charge.warning: 1
> battery.date: 2001/00/00
> battery.mfr.date: 1980/00/01
> battery.runtime: 1
> battery.runtime.low: 1
> battery.temperature: -272
> battery.type: Back-UPS XS 1200 FW
> battery.voltage: 1.0
> battery.voltage.nominal: 1.0
> driver.name: newhidups
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS1

The above is rather confusing. Since you're using the 'newhidups' driver,
I suggest to rename the port to 'auto' in 'ups.conf'.

> driver.version: 2.0.5

This version is well out of date.

> driver.version.data: APC/CyberPower HID 0.9
> driver.version.internal: 0.30
> input.transfer.high: 1
> input.transfer.low: 1
> input.voltage: 1.0
> input.voltage.nominal: 1
> output.voltage: 1.0
> output.voltage.nominal: 1.0
> ups.beeper.status: disabled
> ups.delay.shutdown: 1
> ups.firmware: 8.g1 .D
> ups.firmware.aux: g1
> ups.load: 1.0
> ups.mfr: American Power Conversion
> ups.mfr.date: 1980/00/01
> ups.model: Back-UPS XS 1200
> ups.power.nominal: 1
> ups.serial: JB0548026372
> ups.status: OL LB OVER RB BOOST
> ups.test.result: Done and passed
>
> Is there a better driver I should be using? Also, I get the same exact
> output with both UPSs

First, upgrade to at least nut-2.2.0. If that doesn't fix this, come back
here for instructions on how to run the driver in debug mode, so that we
can figure out what is going on.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands