[Nut-upsuser] trouble with Cyber Power System CPS RS232 USB BRIDGE for UPS

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Nov 22 13:55:32 UTC 2007

> Recently i bought a MicroDoWell BP50, and with it followed a USB 2
> serial converter. When i plug it into my 2.6.19 kernel, dmesg shows
>
> hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [Cyber Power System CPS RS232 USB
> BRIDGE for UPS] on usb-0000:00:04.2-2
> usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
> drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

That's a little confusing. Apparently, Cyber Power System designed this
device to be used particularly for UPS use. However, all it should do is
provide a serial port, so that you can connect the 'powerpanel' or
'cpsups' driver to it.

> So, i figured i should use usbhid-ups, /etc/nut/ups.conf
> [switch]
>    driver = usbhid-ups
>    port = auto

I understand what made you think this is the correct driver, but
unfortunately it isn't. Worse still, CPS also uses this same VID:PID for
their USB HID UPS'es, so we have really no means to exclude this in the
'apc-hid' subdriver.

> The MicroDoWell BP50 only has a serial out, but i am using the serial
> cable that came with the UPS. Unfortunately it is not very long, so
> having a USB extender cable i connected the serial cable to the UPS and
> the USB2serial converter and then the extender cable and into my server.

Your serial-to-USB converter should provide a virtual COM port, something
like /dev/ttyUSB0 ot something like that. This port should be configured
in 'ups.conf' with either the 'powerpanel' or 'cpsups' driver. If no
virtual COM port is created upon plugging in the serial-to-USB converter,
it is most likely not recognized by your kernel. In that case, the only
thing we can do for the moment is to suggest to try a different one that
is supported by your kernel.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands