[Nut-upsuser] UPS auto restart problem upgrading from nut 2.0.1-2.2.0 with MGE Pulsar EXtreme 700C

Olly Lappage olly at essenet.co.uk
Thu Nov 8 12:55:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

Apologies if this is a known problem.  I have just joined the list and
haven't done an exhaustive search of the archives.  Also I am no UPS
expert, so please excuse me if some of my terminology is poor.

I use an MGE Pulsar Extreme 700C connected via RS232 to the linux server
it powers.  I have recently upgraded to a new linux distribution.  Both
new and old use 2.6 kernels, although the new one is about a year newer.

When I did the upgrade I thought I may as well upgrade from nut 2.0.1 to
2.2.0 at the same time.

My configuration instructs the UPS to shut down power to the load with a
40 second delay once my O/S is halted, then switch power on to the load
when AC returns.  I found that the UPS failed to resume power when I
connected AC back to the UPS.   I tested this a few times always with
the same result.  The UPS just sits there with the LED's slowly lighting
in sequence then extinguishing in reverse sequence).  upsdrvctl outputs
the same text as it did previously just before shutdown.  Can't remember
what exactly, but something like "UPS responds auto restart request OK,
UPS responds shutdown request OK".

I compiled the 2.0.1 version of nut on the new O/S and everything works
fine now.  I'm quite happy to go on using the old version as I have had
no problems with it at all in the last 2.5(ish) years but I thought this
may be of interest to someone perhaps...  I am assuming the problem is
most likely to be with the updated MGE UPS driver.

Cheers

Olly.

Info upsc reports from the unit:

battery.charge: 100.0