[Nut-upsuser] Nut problems with Centos and Belkin UPS

Richard Chapman rchapman at aardvark.com.au
Mon Nov 26 02:03:13 UTC 2007

Thanks Arjen

I have changed the driver in my  ups.conf to usbhid-ups, and based on
other literature I have read - I set the port to "auto", but at startup
i get the error:

Starting UPS driver controller: Network UPS Tools: 0.28 USB communication driver 0.28 - core 0.30 (2.2.0-)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

I also tried setting the port to "/dev/hiddev0" and "/sys/class/usb/hiddev0"
 based on a gnome device manager view - but these gave the same error.
I have checked lsusb -vv - and it still reports the device as present, though at a different "device" number.
The change in number seems strange since I don't believe I have moved the cable nor rebooted the system.

Should the "auto" port specification work OK, and if so - can you
suggest why it isn't being found. Alternatively - can you advise me how
to find and specify the correct usb port.

You may be able to answer another question:
The "man belkinunv"  discusses a limitation of the belkin UNV ups not
properly supporting soft shut-down - and also discusses a rather
unsatisfactory (IMHO) workaround. I imagine this limitation will apply
equally to the USB driver - though the workaround probably will not. I
don't think this issue would force me to revert to the serial driver
because i don't much like the strategy of completely flattening the
battery to achieve a pseudo soft shut-down. Can you (or others) confirm
that the limitation will also apply to the USB driver, and/or that the
workaround will not be available in the USB driver?

Also - I am not familiar with the "version from the trunk" but I assume
it is some "beta" development stream. If you think I would be well
advised to look into this further - I would take your advise of course.
Any tips of how to find this would be appreciated. So far - I have only
worked from rpm distributions. If "the trunk" involves recompiling
source3s - this may be a reasonable learning curve for me...:-)

Thanks again Arjen.

I really do appreciate your assistance.

Richard.