[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower CPS1500AVR (rack mount) options

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Thu Oct 11 14:30:08 UTC 2007

This unit works fine with the "cyberpower" driver (which reports it as
"Unknown model - 15"). It reads this much from it:

battery.charge 		: 	100
driver.name 		: 	cyberpower
driver.parameter.pollinterval 	: 	2
driver.parameter.port 	: 	/dev/ttyS0
driver.version 		: 	2.2.0-
driver.version.internal : 	1.00
input.frequency 	: 	60.2
input.voltage 		: 	121
ups.firmware 		: 	5.100
ups.load 		: 	024
ups.mfr 		: 	CyberPower
ups.model 		: 	Unknown model - 15
ups.status 		: 	OL
ups.temperature 	: 	36.0

That's of course the driver recommended for it. But since it comes with
PowerPanel Plus for the primary serial port, I thought I'd try the
powerpanel driver. That looks like this on startup:

CyberPower binary protocol UPS on /dev/ttyS0 detected
warning: [16] unknown value for [unknown.variable.0x3d]!
warning: [0] unknown value for [unknown.variable.0x29]!
warning: [254] unknown value for [unknown.variable.0x2b]!

And then produces these sometimes-obviously-off values:

battery.charge 		: 	206
battery.charge.low 	: 	45
driver.name 		: 	powerpanel
driver.parameter.pollinterval 	: 	2
driver.parameter.port 	: 	/dev/ttyS0
driver.version 		: 	2.2.0-
driver.version.internal : 	0.22
input.frequency 	: 	70.8
input.frequency.nominal : 	60
input.transfer.high 	: 	147
input.transfer.low 	: 	88
input.voltage 		: 	131
input.voltage.nominal 	: 	120
output.voltage 		: 	0
output.voltage.nominal 	: 	120
ups.beeper.status 	: 	enabled
ups.coldstart 		: 	disabled
ups.firmware 		: 	5.100
ups.load 		: 	11
ups.mfr 		: 	CyberPower
ups.model 		: 	OP1500
ups.serial 		: 	[unknown]
ups.status 		: 	OL TRIM
ups.temperature 	: 	158

My guess is this simply has more battery than the 1500AVR-HO model the
powerplanel driver expects, so the 206% battery charge? The input frequency
and voltage are obviously off. The temperature is way off.

Would it be simple to add enough to the powerpanel driver code to work with
this ups? Afraid I don't have Windows to see how PowerPanel Plus talks to
this unit. But is knowing how far off the input.frequency, input.voltage,
and ups.temperature are enough to correct somehow to the right values?

Best,
Whit