[Nut-upsuser] Silence Beeper => Which small UPS's actually support it?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Oct 11 07:11:00 UTC 2007

> I'm looking for a UPS that the beeper can be silenced with nut
> via ups.beeper.status variable for a HTPC close to bedrooms.

You should not be looking for the 'ups.beeper.status' variable, this is
supposed to be read-only (although it not always is, for all drivers).
Instead, you want to lookup the 'beeper.disable' command that has made it
into nut-2.2.1-pre1.

http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.2/testing/nut-2.2.1-pre1.tar.gz

Before that, the 'beeper.(on|off|mute)' commands were a mess and can't be
relied upon.

>     I have googled extensively and there is not a lot of information
> about which UPS's actually support this feature.  There are few
> references to UPS's that apparently list ups.beeper.status as being
> available, but without actually being software configurable such as:
>  http://www.757.org/~joat/wiki/index.php/Linux_and_the_APC500_UPS

See above. An alternative would be to just remove the beeper from the UPS.
I did that for exactly the same reasons on a UPS that didn't support
permanently silencing the beeper. It's a simple and 100% effective
solution, although it will probably void your warranty.

> One lead is Belkin 650 VA UPS, but I'd like a few more choices.
> http://forums.dealmac.com/read.php?1,2019986,2019986
>
> Unfortunately I live in 240v part of the world, so the number of
> brands/models available is relatively limited, with APC, Belkin,
> CyberPower, HP, KME, OPTI-UPS, Powerware, Upsonic being available.

Many USB HID models will probably support this feature. But remember that
the fact that a command is made available in a driver, doesn't
neccessarily mean it is supported on *all* models for which it can be
used. So you'd better try this out before going to sleep.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands