[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: APC Back-UPS ES 550 reports zero(0) load

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Fri Oct 12 19:09:55 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org> wrote:

> >> There is nothing we can do about this. According to the output you
> >> attached (which is great, thanks), the UPS is reporting this.

> >> Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 0.000000
> >
> > Arjen,
> >
> > is there a possibility that the descriptor has some strange conversion
> > that is causing NUT to read this improperly? I don't recall if there
> > is a way to display the hex values coming back from the device.
>
> Well, the version from the trunk or Testing will display this at debug
> level 3 or higher. At debug level 5 or higher it will even display the
> values for the logical to physical conversion that was used in the
> calculations. But looking at the size of it (8 bits) I don't think
> PercentLoad will require a conversion. Theoretically you could increase
> the resolution from 1% to ~0.4% (100/256) though, but this feature is
> rarely used.

Based on the increased debugging output, it doesn't look good:

parsing PercentLoad
Looking up PercentLoad
hid_lookup_usage: found 840035
Path depth = 3
0: Usage(00840004)
1: Usage(00840016)
2: Usage(00840035)
Entering libusb_get_report
Report[r]: (2 bytes) => 50 00
=>> Before exponent: 0, 0/0)
=>> After conversion: 0.000000 (0), 0/0)
Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 0.000000

When I'm back at the site, I'll try hooking up a laptop with APC's
software and see if it can read the value... maybe the UPS just
doesn't report the load correctly at all...
Ben Steeves                               ben.steeves at unb.ca
                                          GTalk: ben.steeves
http://www.metacon.ca/bcs                 GPG ID: 0xB3EBF1D9