[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse USB cable config ?

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 08:08:23 UTC 2007

Hi,

2007/10/12, Derk-Jan Hartman <d.hartman at student.utwente.nl>:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is not directly NUT related, but i don't know where else I can
> still ask this.
> I have been using a pretty decent 2nd hand MGE ellipse premium 1200VA
> for a while now at home. http://www.mgeups.com/download/doc_intl/
> small/premium/389uk.pdf
> It's been working very well for me on linux, but my linux server has
> recently passed away and now I only have Macs left. Therefore i wanna
> use this UPS for my mac trough USB. According to the online
> documentation this UPS has a "new communications port on the Pulsar
> ellipse models incorporates USB and Serial modes". However since this
> thing is 2nd hand from a now defunct internet company, apparently the
> USB cable was lost before I bought it.
>
> I have been scouring the Internet for several days now, but I can't
> even find where to buy an official cable (and i suspect it's probably
> expensive) and I cannot for the life of me find a schematic or
> something that describes what kind of cable this is exactly so that i
> can acquire one locally or build my own cable.
>
> So the questions are:
> 1: is the USB cable simply like the RS232 cable but with built-in USB
> converter ?
> 2: or is the com-port some sort of "autodetecting" system that can
> work in both a USB and a RS232 config ? In that case, would anyone
> know the USB pin layout of the socket on this thing ?
> 3: has anyone else used this or a similar MGE system on the mac?
> 4: Does anyone know a cheap address for one of these USB cables in
> the Netherlands, or at least Europe?

the newer models you're talking about are the USBS models, which allow
to switch between USB or serial by just changing the cable. If you own
such a model, you should have an RJ12 connector on the UPS side, and 2
cables, one ending with a DB9 (for serial use) and another with a
standard USB connector.

Otherwise, the keyspan solution mentioned by my fellows are just fine
and have been validated.

I hope this answers your question,
Arnaud
Ubuntu Media Center (UMC) Project Leader - https://launchpad.net/~umc-team