[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse USB cable config ?

Arjen de Korte nut+devel at de-korte.org
Mon Oct 15 08:45:58 UTC 2007

Arnaud Quette wrote:

>> So the questions are:
>> 1: is the USB cable simply like the RS232 cable but with built-in USB
>> converter ?
>> 2: or is the com-port some sort of "autodetecting" system that can
>> work in both a USB and a RS232 config ? In that case, would anyone
>> know the USB pin layout of the socket on this thing ?
>> 3: has anyone else used this or a similar MGE system on the mac?
>> 4: Does anyone know a cheap address for one of these USB cables in
>> the Netherlands, or at least Europe?
>
> the newer models you're talking about are the USBS models, which allow
> to switch between USB or serial by just changing the cable. If you own
> such a model, you should have an RJ12 connector on the UPS side, and 2
> cables, one ending with a DB9 (for serial use) and another with a
> standard USB connector.

The OP doesn't have the USB cable, that's why he came here in the first
place.

> Otherwise, the keyspan solution mentioned by my fellows are just fine
> and have been validated.

Using the serial port has a slight disadvantage over the USB port. The
SHUT protocol takes (especially during startup) a fair amount of time
because a lot of data has to be sent over a slow link. On my Evolution
650, it takes almost 10 seconds just to transfer the report descriptor.
After that, the differences are small however, so operationally this
should not be a problem.

> I hope this answers your question,

I think the OP would still like to know if it is possible to either buy
or make such a cable (questions 2 and 4).

Best regards, Arjen