[Nut-upsuser] usbhid-ups on openSUSE 10.3 does not see MGE Ellipse 1500

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Oct 18 18:30:38 UTC 2007

Roger Price wrote:

[...]

> Checking device (0463/FFFF) (001/003)
> - VendorID: 0463
> - ProductID: ffff
> - Manufacturer: unknown
> - Product: unknown
> - Serial Number: unknown
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
> detaching kernel driver from USB device...
> failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
> trying again to claim USB device...
> Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation not
> permitted)
> i=0, extra[i]=09, extra[i+1]=21
> HID descriptor, method 2: (9 bytes) => 09 21 00 01 21 01 22 01 03
> HID descriptor retrieved (Reportlen = 769)
> Unable to get Report descriptor (-1): Operation not permitted

[...]

Could you check if the 'upsd' user is member of the 'uucp' group?

	# groups upsd

It looks like the openSUSE 10.3 package is broken in more than one
aspect. Apparently, they configured NUT with

	--with-user=upsd
	--with-group=uucp

but the 'upsd' user is member of the 'daemon' group only (at least, it
was on my system). So you need to change

	GROUP="uucp"
	GROUP="daemon"

in /etc/udev/rules.d/52_nut-usbups.rules as well. After rebooting (just
to be sure), all should be well.

Best regards, Arjen