[Nut-upsuser] nut 2.2.0 doesn't see MGE Elipse 1200 on FreeBSD 6.2

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Fri Oct 26 09:58:22 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> > You can use devfs rules or a devd scriptto modify the permissions
> > on ugen automatically. (ie chown it nut:uucp if an MGE is plugged
> > in)
>
> I'm interested in any scripts to add to the scripts/ dir (like
> hotplug and udev) that would make our BSD users' life easier.

It is probably really up to the port maintainer, although I guess there
is no reason they couldn't go into the NUT dist file.

One problem is that you need to specify what vendor/product ID to
trigger off manually, although I guess a prototype script would be a
good start.

I don't know how hal, etc.. work with this.. Hald runs on FreeBSD but I
don't know much about it (although I run it on my laptop :)

> > > It looks like I'm getting data, I'll have to unplug the UPS from
> > > the wall tonight and see if the battery starts to show that it is
> > > discharging.  The last time I tried this, it would get the
> > > initial data but never change until the driver was reloaded (not
> > > all that useful in that state).
> >
> > The problem in my experience is that it is not reliable :(
>
> I can't definitly do nothing for that, sadly.
> But if you know a good freebsd kernel hacker that would like to work
> with us on improving ugen/libusb/nut, and get a unit to develop and
> test with, I can do something...

We're getting another MGE UPS soon at work so I will be able to test the
patch to ugen I wrote a while ago.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum