[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 800 shutdown problems

tovis mailer.tovis at freemail.hu
Wed Oct 31 08:30:21 UTC 2007

>> Using "ondelay = 30" in ups.conf I have managed to wait more time after
>> the line power is back - other question why this so unreliable:( I have
>> measured time at 16 min upto 32 min (ondelay = 30 should give 30x10sec =
>> 5
>> min) - but I do not care it is not so important for me.
>
> This is not what 'ondelay' is meant to do. Please checkout 'man 8
> mge-shut' for a description of what the function of this is.

May I missing some thing? I read this carefully:
  http://web.iesrodeira.com/cgi-bin/man/man2html?mge-shut+8

>> Also using some script to manage start of driver more reliable - I
>> experienced  two times that it is failed from about 40 times of restart.
>
> See above. Did you use the suggestion under KNOWN ISSUES?

I do not mean "data stale" or loss communication, I talk about that driver
does not start at all, on start up: on Debian is it a script
/etc/init.d/nut what contain a row

  ! /sbin/upsdrvctl start >/dev/null 2>&1 && \
    log_progress_msg "(upsdrvctl failed)" || log_progress_msg "upsdrvctl"

I experienced several times that it is give a failure, but the upsd and
upsmon is started! I modified this row with a small function, where I
tries start driver 5 times - to be save. This idea I found also on the WEB
to correct the same situation on FreeBSD.

>> I decided this because ups with 2x150W lamps could work with inner limit
>> 30% charge work only once, if charge was at least 95%!? Because of the
>> communication problems it also could fail on first time . as I
>> experienced
>> it frequently happend at around when battery is near to his limit.
>>
>> After all I will wait for a new, production strong "newmge-shut" driver!
>
> I very much doubt that this is going to solve your problems. If your UPS
> can be connected through USB, I would try that first.

No, it is could be connected only through good, old RS-232C:) Other
question that here should be some problems around firmware, and as I said
aerlier it has quite a primitiv/simplified controller - cheep and dirty.
Also, may be, the new batteries could cause some problems - I could not
get exactly the same batteries what was installed originally, new
batteries are have slightly better capacity and not 100% compatible with
the old ones.

Thanks
  tovis