[Nut-upsuser] USB trouble / nut 2.2.1 / MGE Protection Center 675

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Apr 10 10:34:58 UTC 2008

>>> There is many (20 per day on average) messages like:
>>> kernel: usb 2-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups rqt
>>> 161 rq 1 len 2 ret -110
>>> usbhid-ups[6768]: HIDGetDataValue: Connection timed out
>>>
>>> What can be done do correct that problem?
>>
>> This is a message that is logged at the level LOG_DEBUG. Apparently,
>> you have configured your syslog to report quite verbosely. Unless
>> you're a developer, you can safely ignore messages logged at this
>> level. There is nothing wrong and nothing that needs fixing.
> Thanks for your quick answer. I've understood that the situation is fine
> and that the messages can be ignored.
>
> Any way, by curiosity, I would like to know what's going on. Is this due
> to the UPS behavior (something like UPS sometime busy and not fast
> enough to reply) or is it on the computer side?

It could be either, or maybe the connection suffers from interference
(EMI) or another device is plugged into the USB bus. It's impossible to
tell with the limited information available. Sometimes this is just what
happens with USB connected devices occasionally for no apparent reason.

Even if usbhid-ups wouldn't log the line with 'HIDGetDataValue' on it,
you'd still see the kernel log message by the way.

Best regards, Arjen