[Nut-upsuser] 2.2.2-pre2 64 bit rpm tested on openSUSE 10.3

Roger Price rprice at cs.uml.edu
Sun Apr 20 16:51:02 UTC 2008

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008, Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Roger Price wrote:
>
> > # /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
> > MONITOR mgeups at localhost 1 monuser mgepass master
> > MINSUPPLIES 1
> > SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h +2 Arret systeme!"
> > NOTIFYCMD /usr/sbin/upssched
> > POLLFREQ 5
> > POLLFREQALERT 5
> > HOSTSYNC 15
> > DEADTIME 15
> > POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
> > NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE SYSLOG+EXEC
> > NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT SYSLOG+EXEC
> > NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK IGNORE
> > NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD IGNORE
> > RBWARNTIME 43200
> > NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
> > FINALDELAY 5
>
> Can you please elaborate on the above configuration, especially what made you
> think it is a good idea to wait 2 minutes in your shutdown command. The zero
> delay we have in the example configuration is there for a good reason.

Hello Arjen, I live in the Alpes Maritimes in the south of France.  This
is an area with frequent electrical storms, plenty of lightning and it is
common to have several short power cuts in succession during a storm.  My
strategy is to tolerate short power cuts, up to 120 seconds, but if the
power cut lasts longer I tell my users, in french not english, that the
system is shutting down, and I give them 2 minutes to save their work.
My time intervals are short because I want to be able to go through the
shutdown-restart sequence several times without having time to recharge
the batteries.

If I lived say in Paris the strategy would be different since there they
have much less lightning.

My successive installations of NUT have left me with an accumulation of
configuration files which have built up over the years.  They could do
with a thorough cleanup.  I'll have a close look at the upsmon.conf.rpmnew
which has appeared.

Best Regards,
Roger