[Nut-upsuser] NUT 2.0.4-4 - Debian stable - /etc/killpower not created?

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Apr 29 17:46:48 UTC 2008

Please keep the mailinglist posted.

> I was under the impression that the ability of the machine to restart on
> return of power depended on the power beeing cut while the system is
> running. Is that not how it works?

That depends on your system. Some will 'remember' the last status before
the power is cut, others will startup on the application of power.

> I have run my master and slave powered by the ups. I have let the ups
> run dry. The machines shut down as expected. They restart when ups is
> given power again. So it looks okay.

Yes.

> My real question is:
> How can I make sure that a machine was "ready" when the power was cut? I
> have been getting messages about corrupt databases on return from a
> power out.

The latter could happen, if the shutdown sequence of a slave takes longer
than that of the master. In that case, the slave may not have finished
shutting down at the time the power is cut. How to work around this, is
documented in the FAQ and the docs/shutdown.txt document. The only way to
prevent something like this happening upfront, is to have a dedicated UPS
for every system. Having said that, increasing FINALDELAY on the master
usually will give satisfactory results too (but don't overdo this, or else
you risk that the master will be hit by a sudden power cut if the battery
of the UPS is depleted). Alternatively, you could increase the 'offdelay'
time on your UPS (if the driver supports this), but this will have
drawbacks too.

Best regards, Arjen