[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 500 cable config

Harri Järvi harri.jarvi at ajatus.org
Fri Aug 8 23:43:00 UTC 2008

I have trouble in getting communication work with MGE Ellipse 500. I
bought it second hand and I don't have the cable for it.

How do I know if it's the Serial or USB model? The serial number of the
unit is: 769B16015. I suspect it is the serial version as the label next
to the RJ11 stands "com port", but I can't be 100% sure.

MGE Ellipse serial cable pinout can be found here:

http://eu1.networkupstools.org/cables/mgeups.html

I tried making the cable, but the pin numbering on the modular jack
(RJ12) wasn't clear on the page so I tried it both ways. Neither seems
to work for me. Which way is the right way?

I may need some help resolving this.

Trying minicom on /dev/ttyS0 with 2400 bps 8n1 I can see that anything
I type, gets echoed back character by character (in both pin
configurations I tried). I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing.
Nevertheless I can't get it to react in any other way.

This is what I get in both configurations:

# /lib/nut/mge-shut -a mge-shut -D -D -D -D
Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.66 (2.2.2)
debug level is '4'
entering upsdrv_initups()
entering setline(1)

entering shut_ups_start()

sent: (1 bytes) => 16
Syncing and notification setting done
Communication with UPS established
entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
entering shut_packet_send (8)
shut_checksum = af
sent: (11 bytes) => 81 88 81 06 00 21 00 00 09 00 af
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 1
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 2
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Retry = 3
sent: (1 bytes) => 15
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
Max tries reached while waiting for ACK, still getting errors
Unable to get HID Descriptor
#

Yours,
Harri