[Nut-upsuser] Problem with APC and Fedora 8 I86_64

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Sat Aug 16 09:03:16 UTC 2008

Geraint Evans wrote:

> I have been trying to get Nut working on a system with Fedora 8 i86_64 installed and an APC
> Smart-UPS USB.
>
> The 2.2.0 rpm does not seem to like the USB on this UPS. I have tried compiling the 2.2.2 version,
> from source, but am getting warnings. I have tried building it on my i386 system (f8 as well) and I
> get no warnings also the 2.2.0 works fine on that one with a TrippLite Omni 900 LCD via USB.

There are issues with the libusb interface on 64-bit systems. This is
not limited to NUT, but also for other projects. Basically, the behavior
of the library is different between 32- and 64-bit systems. We may (or
may not) be able to work this out, but at the moment the active
developers for NUT don't seem to be running 64-bit systems, so I don't
expect this will happen anytime soon.

> How can I either get the 2.2.0 working with the APC/f8/64 combination or compile without the
> problems.  I wish to use Nut as a standard on 2 networks so there is only one UPS software in use
> and to try and integrate with Nagios.
>
> Here are the configure and makes with the warnings and attached are the outputs as redirected to
> files.

The attached files are lacking the output from stderr. If you care to
run these again, make sure to also add the output from stderr.

As to your remarks about the warnings you mentioned, the compiler warns
about implicit typecasts (which are completely harmless). As Charles
already mentioned, most (if not all) are in the debugging code, which is
irrelevant anyway if you're not a developer.

Best regards, Arjen