[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS CS 500 power cycle

Markus Kress Markus.Kress at gls-itservices.com
Mon Dec 1 15:04:25 UTC 2008

Hello,

we have a problem using APC Back-UPS CS 500 (connected via USB,
usbhid-ups-apc) and UPS-NUT. We've tried different Versions of UPS-NUT
(2.2.1 and 2.2.2), including the latest from SVN (28th November 2008).
We've also tried apcupsd, which works fine for our requirements, but we
don't want use it.
What we need is simple: The UPS should turn off after power loss and
shutdown (after a delay) and automaticly turn on after power is back.

A 'upsdrvctl shutdown' in the halt.local does not turn off the ups. A
'upscmd apc load.off.delay 5' works, but the ups does not turn on after
power is back.

Here the output of 'upscmd -l apc' :

Instant commands supported on UPS [apc]:
beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.panel.start - Start testing the UPS panel
test.panel.stop - Stop a UPS panel test

The last lines of output from  'usbhid-ups -DDDD -a apc -k':

Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 2.000000
Initiating UPS shutdown
upsdrv_shutdown...
instcmd(shutdown.return, [NULL])
find_nut_info: unknown info type: shutdown.return
instcmd(load.on.delay, 5)
find_nut_info: unknown info type: load.on.delay
instcmd: info element unavailable load.on.delay
instcmd(shutdown.reboot, [NULL])
Can't set Report 19: Broken pipe
instcmd: FAILED
Shutdown failed!

Interessting: The apcupsd has an different turn off behavior. Before the
ups is turned off (by the internal timer of the ups), the green and red LED
doing an alternate blinking.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Markus Kress
System Technologies