[Nut-upsuser] APC Back-UPS CS 500 power cycle

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Dec 1 15:21:36 UTC 2008

Citeren Markus Kress <Markus.Kress at gls-itservices.com>:

> we have a problem using APC Back-UPS CS 500 (connected via USB,
> usbhid-ups-apc) and UPS-NUT. We've tried different Versions of UPS-NUT
> (2.2.1 and 2.2.2), including the latest from SVN (28th November 2008).
> We've also tried apcupsd, which works fine for our requirements, but we
> don't want use it.

Why not?

> What we need is simple: The UPS should turn off after power loss and
> shutdown (after a delay) and automaticly turn on after power is back.

This may not be simple at all. APC is providing no support to the NUT
developers in this area, so all we have is what we got from reverse
engineering.

> A 'upsdrvctl shutdown' in the halt.local does not turn off the ups. A
> 'upscmd apc load.off.delay 5' works, but the ups does not turn on after
> power is back.
>
> Here the output of 'upscmd -l apc' :

Which version is this?

> Instant commands supported on UPS [apc]:
> beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
> beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
> beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
> beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
> beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
> load.on - Turn on the load immediately
> shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
> shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
> shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
> shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
> test.panel.start - Start testing the UPS panel
> test.panel.stop - Stop a UPS panel test

More interesting, what does the output of 'upsc apc' look like?

> The last lines of output from  'usbhid-ups -DDDD -a apc -k':

> Offset: 0, Size: 8, Value: 2.000000
> Initiating UPS shutdown
> upsdrv_shutdown...
> instcmd(shutdown.return, [NULL])
> find_nut_info: unknown info type: shutdown.return
> instcmd(load.on.delay, 5)
> find_nut_info: unknown info type: load.on.delay
> instcmd: info element unavailable load.on.delay
> instcmd(shutdown.reboot, [NULL])
> Can't set Report 19: Broken pipe

That doesn't make sense. The report descriptor says this command is
available, but when we want to use it, it just ignores us.

> instcmd: FAILED
> Shutdown failed!

This doesn't look like the SVN trunk, is it?

> Interessting: The apcupsd has an different turn off behavior. Before the
> ups is turned off (by the internal timer of the ups), the green and red LED
> doing an alternate blinking.

None of the active NUT developers has access to an APC CS-500 if I'm
not mistaken. So unless you're willing to do some research/work here,
this likely will stay that way.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list