[Nut-upsuser] MGE Evolution and programmable outlets configuration

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Sun Dec 7 15:10:35 UTC 2008

Arjen de Korte ha scritto:

> Regarding this, the fan is indeed annoying, but I don't agree with the
> other arguments you're raising here. MGE officially supports NUT, you
> don't get that with APC (we're doing our best here though, but we get no
> support from APC).

I know and it's one of the reasons that made me choose MGE. Their
interest to open source, their contribution, their repository (psp for
amd64 is still missing though) and mirror is great, really, as well as
NUT :) I'm a little bit sad because I expected the powershare feature,
which is another aspect that made me prefer the MGE Evolution, to be
more effective and usefull. I hope in the further development code you
were talking about to be available pretty soon.

A digression about the fan: it's really annoying not just because it's
louder than my 100W computer with 4 fans running (yes, it is), but also
because there's no need to keep it spinning all the time in a *small*,
*650* UPS generating just a *few* watts during normal use (measured with
a watt-meter and both the metal cage and the exhaust air are indeed
cold). Replacing it with a quieter fan, although fine for the UPS, means
void warranty. I'd like to have a little more attention on this aspect,
maybe using a thermoregulated fan, when paying 300 euro.
But I should address these critics to MGE rather than the NUT mailing
list, I know. However, beyond this issues, the UPS has proven to be a
good product, good-looking too :)

Well, I'm going to read the upssched man pages, I'll write again if I
have questions about its configuration. Sorry for the digression and
good development.

Best regards,
Marco