[Nut-upsuser] NUT SuSE Linux 11.0 USB ULTRA ULT33046 ups

Bill Blessing billy1180 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 01:48:56 UTC 2008

I've read through the archives
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2006-August/001550.htmland
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsuser/2006-August/001558.html.
Going through the readme,
http://eu1.networkupstools.org/doc/2.2.0/INSTALL.html, I made it to step 8
before the problems started. Originally I had used the usb program supplied
with the ups from powercom, but this didn't appear to work as I had thought.
I came across NUT and hoped that I could get some more flexibility. I didn't
follow steps 1-6 because I had always used YaST2 and I was more comfortable
with that. After getting NUT installed the drivers and upsdrvctl were
located at /usr/lib/ups/drivers and the config files, ups.conf, etc., at
/etc/ups. My ups.conf file has only one ups set up:

[BillSuSEUPS]
        driver = usbhid-ups
        port = /dev/hiddev0
        desc = "Server UPS upstairs"

Here are the results from calling /usr/lib/ups/drivers/upsdrvctl start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

and with /usr/lib/ups/drivers/upsdrvctl -u root start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

The results of lsusb:

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0d9f:0002 Powercom Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

The results of /usr/lib/ups/drivers/upsdrvctl -DDD -u root start

Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Starting UPS: BillSuSEUPS
exec: /usr/lib/ups/driver/usbhid-ups -a BillSuSEUPS -u root
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

At this stage I'm pretty stumped as to what is going on. I barely qualify as
even a Linux newbie so I'm sure there are a ton of mistakes I've glossed
over. However, any help at this stage would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Bill Blessing