[Nut-upsuser] nut with Belkin "Active Battery Backup" UPS (BU30 series)

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Sun Feb 17 19:14:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 18:33:00 +0300, Luis Angel Cofiño <nut at lacofi.org> wrote:

> El Domingo, 17 de Febrero de 2008 Cian Davis escribió:
>> I hope this isn't a really stupid question but...
>>
>> I downloaded the latest trunk SVN version and went to compile it. But
>> there is no configure script... is this correct?
>
> Yes, this is correct. You have to run now the command "autoreconf" and it will
> generate the configure script.
>
> But I think you don't need the trunk version. Your SAI it's the same that
> mine. It HAS to work with megatec_usb and standard 2.2 version. Please
> uninstall WinPower if installed, and try again 2.2 version with megatec_usb.
> Watch the report when you init the upsd daemon. What says your system?.

Well, we always need feedback about the development version so don't put
him off testing :)
Of course, stable versions are prefered in production.

> It can be a permissions problem, for example. On Gentoo, when plugged the USB
> cable, it creates a /dev/usb/hiddev0 device, but I have to change the udev
> policy to generate a symlink and with a working group, adding a rule like
> this:
>
> KERNEL=="hiddev0", NAME="usb/%k", GROUP="nut", SYMLINK+="hiddev0"
>
> Think about it. In your system, is executed as user "nut" and NOT root, maybe.
> Permissions by default of hiddev0 are "root root -rw-rw----", and this is
> permission denied when starting the daemon as user "nut".

There indeed could be permission problems, but megatec_usb doesn't use
hiddev nodes at all (AFAIK other USB drivers do the same). Therefore you
don't want to change their permissions. You'd better look at udev rules
packaged with nut (scripts/udev/). Example:

atlantis:~# ps aux | grep megatec_usb
nut      14572  0.0  0.0   1852   640 ?        Ss   Feb16   0:03 /lib/nut/megatec_usb -a krauler
root     16516  0.0  0.0   1640   528 pts/0    S+   22:12   0:00 grep megatec_usb
atlantis:~# ls -l /proc/14572/fd
total 7
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 0 -> /dev/null
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 1 -> /dev/null
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 2 -> /dev/null
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 3 -> socket:[246169]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 4 -> /dev/bus/usb/003/002
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 5 -> socket:[246237]
lrwx------ 1 root root 64 Feb 17 21:58 6 -> socket:[246250]
atlantis:~# ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003/002
crw-rw-r-- 1 root nut 189, 257 Feb 17 22:12 /dev/bus/usb/003/002

--
   Alexander