[Nut-upsuser] "No matching HID UPS found" with TrippLite SMX1500LCD

Roman Serbski mefystofel at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 05:37:23 UTC 2008

Hi list-

I'm having problems with TrippLite SMX1500LCD not being detected by
NUT under FreeBSD 6.3-RC2. NUT 2.2.1 was installed from ports with the
following options:

WITH_USB=true
WITH_SNMP=true
WITHOUT_IPV6=true
WITH_LIBUPSCLIENT=true
WITH_CGI=true

I use USB cable shipped with TrippLite and 'usbdevs -v' shows the following:

Controller /dev/usb2:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000),
Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
port 1 powered
port 2 addr 2: low speed, power 100 mA, config 1, TRIPP LITE
UPS(0x2005), Tripp Lite(0x09ae), rev 0.10

According to http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/stable.html it
looks like SMX1500LCD is supported (by usbhid-ups).

However, whenever I try to start nut I see the following error:

No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

Here is my ups.conf:

[tripplite]
driver = usbhid-ups
port = /dev/usb2

I've been reading archives mentioning similar error message and tried
to get more information by executing
'/usr/local/libexec/nut/usbhid-ups -a tripplite -DDDD' but still got
the same error:

Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.32 (2.2.1)
debug level is '4'
upsdrv_initups...
No appropriate HID device found
No matching HID UPS found

#cat /etc/devfs.conf
perm    usb2    0660
own     usb2    root:uucp

#cat /etc/devfs.rules
[nut_usb=10]
add path 'uhid0' group wheel user uucp mode 0660

Anyone with the similar UPS? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.