[Nut-upsuser] couple questions about supported UPSes and politics of purchase

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Fri Jan 18 13:47:32 UTC 2008

a customer of mine needs a UPS capable of supporting a small server in his
office.  Obviously, nut is a good thing for him for clean shutdown etc.
especially with the crappy quality power in his office condo.

I wanted to purchase an MGE UPS but it looks like they purchased APC and are now
flogging that product line.  Now, I've never been happy with APC.  I have an APC
3000 (sans batteries) sitting in the basement.  It worked but, it needs new
batteries every 24 months and they get expensive.  (Note: if you're in the
Boston area and you want it, make me a reasonable offer either in cash or
equipment trade and it's yours.) And I had a little 350 unit for my wife's
desktop which also ate batteries.  Contrast to the Belkin 1100 units I have
running a couple servers and some switches in the basement.  They've worked
really well with decent battery life.  I might even get brave enough to connect
NUT to them this weekend.  :-)

so what's up with the MGE/APC mash up?

--
Speech-recognition in use.  It makes mistakes, I correct some.