[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse Max 1100 configuration question

Chris Cohen kildau-ml at gmx.de
Tue Jun 3 07:39:59 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 09:20:04 you wrote:
> >> The end of the trace shows that the driver is killed by signal 15.
> >> This is *not* caused by the driver itself, but by another process.
> >
> > Yes, I rebooted that machine to connect it back on the ups power.
>
> But during the attached trace the UPS rebooted it's output, right?
Yes.

> It
> doesn't look like anything is connected though (load percentage is
> just 3%), so I wonder if (and how) you checked that the output was
> shutdown.
Please see below.

> There is one really weird thing in this trace. Just after
> startup, the remaining capacity is 100%, then is reported as 71% once
> and after that as 100% again. This could be due to an inverter check
> of the device (which is not uncommon), but it could also be due to an
> overload on the output of the UPS.
Hmm.. I don't think so? see below.

> If you run this test, make sure there is a load attached to the UPS.
> It could be failing under (heavy) load. Double check that you don't
> overload the device. Although the rating on the label states 1100VA,
> the maximum load you can attach is just 660W. This should be enough
> to power a small server, but is probably not enough for more than one
> or additional devices. Also, in order to rule out problems with EMI,
> do not hotplug any USB connector and make sure that the earth
> (yellow/green) connection is not interrupted.

I removed all servers and workstation from the output of the ups.
I then connected my periphery (monitor, printer, soundsystem...) to the
battery backed-up output of the ups to have some load. (maybe its only
3%, but I it showed the same behaviour as with the servers attached)
After running the command, the ups went off. There was a "klick" :-)
My monitor went off. My Soundsystem went off. I then had to press the
ups' power button to turn it back on. The ups has a load of about 55%
when everything is running under heavy load.

--
Thank you
Chris