[Nut-upsuser] Unsupported UPS using megatec_usb

Jamie Thompson lists.nut-upsuser at jamie-thompson.co.uk
Tue May 6 00:28:26 UTC 2008

Alexander I. Gordeev wrote:
>>> Asking for UPS information [I]...
>>> get_data_krauler: index [0c], prefix [#]
>>> I => OK [#                UPS500V    VER3.10C  ]
>>> Megatec protocol UPS detected [ UPS500V VER3.10C].
>>> Asking for UPS power ratings [F]...
>>> get_data_krauler: index [0d], prefix [#]
>>> F => OK [#230.0 003 11.50 50.0]
>>> Unsupported battery voltage (11.5V).
>>> This UPS has an unsupported combination of battery voltage/number of batteries.
>>> Cannot calculate charge percentage for this UPS.
> [snip]
>> Helpfully, less failures there.
> It is MUCH better now! No single USB communication error. It seems that
> something was not ok with the USB host hardware/software on the previous
> machine.

Yeah...something to look into. I've not used the USB ports on my server for a long time, so I'll have to dig a little deeper I guess :(

> From this point the problem is described in the megatec_usb(8) man page in
> the 'known problems' section.

Ok, just to confirm then, I need to take the battery reading when fully charged (11.5V?), then again when it is fully discharged, and enter it in the
form:
 > battvolts = x:11.5
to ups.conf (where 'x' is the value I'll measure when it runs out of juice)?

Minor humble suggestion, would you consider letting people know on the man page which way round they go:
>        battvolts=float:float
>
>               Optional.  The battery voltage interval (volts).
...isn't as intuitive as it could be. Perhaps:
>        battvolts=float:float
>
>               Optional.  The battery voltage interval <empty:full> (volts).
...might be clearer.

Thanks for all your help!
- Jamie