[Nut-upsuser] Unsupported UPS using megatec_usb

Alexander I. Gordeev lasaine at lvk.cs.msu.su
Sat May 17 16:12:04 UTC 2008

Sorry, forgot to CC to the list...

On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:40:04 +0400, Jamie Thompson <lists.nut-upsuser at jamie-thompson.co.uk> wrote:

> I am able to disable the beeper, despite the status always reading as off, but nothing else seems to work? load.off has no effect, nor does any other
> command, seemingly.

Add 'ignoreoff' to the UPS definition in ups.conf as I've written before.
'load.off' is currently not supported because my UPS does it very unreliable.
Maybe you'll have better experience but it requires some hacking.

> I've no prior experience with any UPSes, so I wonder if you could let me now if the following experience is common.

This is common for very cheap and bogus UPSes we both have.

> The apparent maximum voltage of the battery is 12.8v.
>
> I've hooked up a monitor to drain it, and once the battery voltage gets down below 11v the overload beeper starts up (which cannot be disabled), and
> after a very short period of time the ups shuts off the monitor, upon which the voltage jumps back up to 11.30v, and then again after a short interval
> the UPS shuts off.

It starts to beep when the battery is low.

[snip]
> ...and the reported commands are:
>> test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
> No effect
>> test.battery.start - Start a battery test
> No effect
>> test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test
> No effect

This is strange. It should make some clicking sound at least.

>> shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
> No effect
>> shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
> No effect
>> shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
> No effect
>> load.on - Turn on the load immediately
> No effect
>> load.off - Turn off the load immediately
> No effect

Not implemented. There is some way to make the UPS shutdown but it is
too unreliable on my own model so I switched it off. Again, maybe you'll
have better experience but it requires some hacking.

--
 Alexander