[Nut-upsuser] Re : MGE Ellipse Max 1100 configuration question

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed May 21 20:43:26 UTC 2008

2008/5/21, Chris Cohen <kildau-ml at gmx.de>:
> Hi,

Hi Chris,

> I bought an Ellipse MAX 1100 a few months ago.

excellent choice ;-)

> First I attached it to my
> desktop and installed mge's personal solution pac. (a graphical
> interface which uses nut). It works. But I want to attach the ups to my
> server which runs without an x-server.
> I followed http://opensource.mgeups.com/install/debian.htm. Didn't work.

these are outdated, and will probably never be updated again.
and I've not yet had time to take care of opensource.mgeops.com

> Then I copied over the configuration files which the personal solution
> pac on my desktop created. But I get the same error as with my manual
> configuration:
>
> May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7812]: listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
> May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7812]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7813]: Startup successful
> May 21 19:01:43 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> May 21 19:06:43 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> May 21 19:11:44 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
>
> So I started PSPmon my desktopo again and looked into daemon.log. Then I
> noticed that PSP doesn't start nut. So I did. Same error as above.
> Why does PSP work and how do I get nut on my server to work with this
> UPS?

to answer your question:
- psp only autodetect your MGE UPS and configure nut.
then the service are started by the system at boot.
- on your master machine (the one running PSP):
   * you have to allow client connection in upsd.conf ("ACL mynetwork
X.X.X.X/Y" and add mynetwork to "ACCEPT")
   * you have to define an "upsmon slave" user in upsd.users
- on your slave machine:
   * you only need upsmon.conf
   * you should only set START_UPSMON to yes in /etc/default/nut
   * you have to point the master machine (the one running PSP) in
upsmon.conf, also using the upsmon slave login/password created above.

For more information: man upsd.conf, upsmon.conf, ... and the online
documentation.

Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com