[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse Max 1100 configuration question

Chris Cohen kildau-ml at gmx.de
Wed May 21 21:19:44 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 22:43:26 you wrote:
> 2008/5/21, Chris Cohen <kildau-ml at gmx.de>:
> > Hi,
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> > I bought an Ellipse MAX 1100 a few months ago.
>
> excellent choice ;-)
>
> > First I attached it to my
> > desktop and installed mge's personal solution pac. (a graphical
> > interface which uses nut). It works. But I want to attach the ups
> > to my server which runs without an x-server.
> > I followed http://opensource.mgeups.com/install/debian.htm. Didn't
> > work.
>
> these are outdated, and will probably never be updated again.
> and I've not yet had time to take care of opensource.mgeops.com
>
> > Then I copied over the configuration files which the personal
> > solution pac on my desktop created. But I get the same error as
> > with my manual configuration:
> >
> > May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7812]: listening on 0.0.0.0 port 3493
> > May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7812]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> > (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> > May 21 18:56:43 fry upsd[7813]: Startup successful
> > May 21 19:01:43 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> > (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> > May 21 19:06:43 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> > (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> > May 21 19:11:44 fry upsd[7813]: Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]
> > (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No such file or directory
> >
> > So I started PSPmon my desktopo again and looked into daemon.log.
> > Then I noticed that PSP doesn't start nut. So I did. Same error as
> > above. Why does PSP work and how do I get nut on my server to work
> > with this UPS?
>
> to answer your question:
> - psp only autodetect your MGE UPS and configure nut.
> then the service are started by the system at boot.
> - on your master machine (the one running PSP):
>    * you have to allow client connection in upsd.conf ("ACL mynetwork
> X.X.X.X/Y" and add mynetwork to "ACCEPT")
>    * you have to define an "upsmon slave" user in upsd.users
> - on your slave machine:
>    * you only need upsmon.conf
>    * you should only set START_UPSMON to yes in /etc/default/nut
>    * you have to point the master machine (the one running PSP) in
> upsmon.conf, also using the upsmon slave login/password created
> above.

First, thanks for your reply, but I think you didn't really understand
what I want to do. I want to connect the UPS to my server via usb since
my desktop doesn't run all the time. I can't run PSP on my server since
its headless. So I did pretty much the same you told me to.
But all I get is  Can't connect to UPS [mgeups]  (usbhid-ups-mgeups): No
such file or directory. Nothing works. I don't even understand what
this error means. What file is nut looking for and where should it be?

> For more information: man upsd.conf, upsmon.conf, ... and the online
> documentation.

Already did that ;)

--
Thanks