[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse Max 1100 configuration question

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu May 22 13:35:28 UTC 2008

>> Try to run the driver with '-u root -DD' to rule out permissions
>> problems.
>
> Done. It shut down the UPS and my entire network. :(

Weird. This is not something the driver can do, unless you specifically
tell it to kill the power (-k). I see that you're using Linux
2.6.24-17-xen.

> But I redirected the output to a file which I attached. (I don't know
> what all this means...)

Well, it appear to detect the UPS all right:

> Checking device (0463/FFFF) (001/008)
> - VendorID: 0463
> - ProductID: ffff
> - Manufacturer: MGE UPS SYSTEMS
> - Product: Ellipse MAX
> - Serial Number: PbAc
> - Bus: 001
> Trying to match device
> Device matches
> HID descriptor length 882
> Report Descriptor size = 882
> Using subdriver: MGE HID 1.01

Short of the weird value reported for the serial number, nothing wrong so
far. It only looks like it reports the wrong indexed string, which is very
strange. What does 'lsusb -vvv' report? I'm not sure if this isn't due to
the fact that you seem to be running Linux 2.6.24-17-xen. I don't know if
the libusb library will work with that.

Only BatterySystem.Battery.AudibleAlarmControl can be read after this, the
remainder of the report descriptor can't be read correctly. Í have no clue
why this is happening.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Eindhoven - The Netherlands