[Nut-upsuser] Can't make Smart-UPS 1500 shutdown over serial

Jon Povey Jon.Povey at racelogic.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 10:01:27 UTC 2008

Hello again folks.

On 10 November 2008 16:08 I wrote:
> However the commands to shutdown the UPS don't seem to work.
> shutdown.stayoff, shutdown.return and load.off all seem to
> silently do nothing. Likewise upsdrvctl shutdown:

I have some more information. I ran the driver with lots of debug
output, inlined below with most of the repeated polling output removed,
please say if you'd like a complete log.

I have added ... where I removed stuff, and my comments in brackets.

I started apcsmart, then rest of the nut system, and tried various
upscmd shutdown.return|load.off commands. The first few failed, but then
a load.off and load.on did work.

I see the [NA] responses and "outside window" reports, which makes me
think I have a comms problem?

I am a Linux C developer myself so can maybe help try to track this
down. If I don't hear anything back from the list this week I suppose
I'll try installing the latest nut from sources and see if that's any
different.

Here's hoping this means something to one of you...

---

# /lib/nut/apcsmart -DDDD -a ups
Network UPS Tools (version 2.2.1-) - APC Smart protocol driver
        Driver version 1.99.8, command table version 2.0
debug level is '4'
Attempting firmware lookup
Firmware: [601.3.I]
Not found in table - trying normal method
APC - Attempting to find command set
APC - Parsing out command set
UPS supports variable [ups.model]
poll_data: ups.model
UPS supports command [load.on]
UPS supports variable [input.quality]
poll_data: input.quality
UPS supports variable [battery.packs]
poll_data: battery.packs
UPS supports command [test.panel.start]
UPS supports variable [battery.voltage]
poll_data: battery.voltage
UPS supports variable [ups.temperature]
poll_data: ups.temperature
UPS supports command [calibrate.start]
UPS supports command [calibrate.stop]
UPS supports variable [ups.test.interval]
poll_data: ups.test.interval
UPS supports variable [input.frequency]
poll_data: input.frequency
UPS supports variable [input.transfer.reason]
poll_data: input.transfer.reason
UPS supports command [shutdown.stayoff]
UPS supports variable [input.voltage]
poll_data: input.voltage
UPS supports variable [input.voltage.maximum]
poll_data: input.voltage.maximum
UPS supports variable [input.voltage.minimum]
poll_data: input.voltage.minimum
UPS supports variable [output.voltage]
poll_data: output.voltage
UPS supports variable [ups.load]
poll_data: ups.load
UPS supports command [shutdown.return]
UPS supports command [test.failure.start]
protocol_verify: 0x56 [V] unrecognized
UPS supports command [test.battery.start]
UPS supports command [test.battery.stop]
UPS supports variable [ups.test.result]
poll_data: ups.test.result
UPS supports command [load.off]
UPS supports variable [ups.firmware]
poll_data: ups.firmware
UPS supports variable [ups.id]
poll_data: ups.id
UPS supports variable [battery.charge.restart]
poll_data: battery.charge.restart
UPS supports variable [battery.charge]
poll_data: battery.charge
UPS supports variable [battery.voltage.nominal]
poll_data: battery.voltage.nominal
UPS supports variable [battery.runtime]
poll_data: battery.runtime
UPS supports variable [battery.alarm.threshold]
poll_data: battery.alarm.threshold
UPS supports variable [input.transfer.low]
poll_data: input.transfer.low
UPS supports variable [ups.mfr.date]
poll_data: ups.mfr.date
UPS supports variable [ups.serial]
poll_data: ups.serial
UPS supports variable [output.voltage.nominal]
poll_data: output.voltage.nominal
UPS supports variable [ups.delay.shutdown]
poll_data: ups.delay.shutdown
UPS supports variable [battery.runtime.low]
poll_data: battery.runtime.low
UPS supports variable [ups.delay.start]
poll_data: ups.delay.start
UPS supports variable [input.sensitivity]
poll_data: input.sensitivity
UPS supports variable [input.transfer.high]
poll_data: input.transfer.high
UPS supports variable [battery.date]
poll_data: battery.date
APC - About to get capabilities string
Supported capability: 75 (I) - input.transfer.high
Supported capability: 6c (I) - input.transfer.low
Supported capability: 65 (4) - battery.charge.restart
Supported capability: 6f (I) - output.voltage.nominal
Supported capability: 73 (4) - input.sensitivity
Supported capability: 71 (4) - battery.runtime.low
Supported capability: 70 (4) - ups.delay.shutdown
Supported capability: 6b (4) - battery.alarm.threshold
Supported capability: 72 (4) - ups.delay.start
Supported capability: 45 (4) - ups.test.interval
APC - UPS capabilities determined
Detected Smart-UPS 1500 [AS0537230534(] on /dev/ttyS0
update_status
update_info_all: starting
poll_data: ups.firmware
poll_data: ups.model
poll_data: ups.serial
poll_data: ups.mfr.date
poll_data: ups.temperature
poll_data: ups.load
poll_data: ups.test.interval
poll_data: ups.test.result
poll_data: ups.delay.start
poll_data: ups.delay.shutdown
poll_data: ups.id
poll_data: input.voltage
poll_data: input.frequency
poll_data: input.sensitivity
poll_data: input.quality
poll_data: input.transfer.low
poll_data: input.transfer.high
poll_data: input.transfer.reason
poll_data: input.voltage.maximum
poll_data: input.voltage.minimum
poll_data: output.voltage
poll_data: output.voltage.nominal
poll_data: battery.date
poll_data: battery.charge
poll_data: battery.charge.restart
poll_data: battery.voltage
poll_data: battery.voltage.nominal
poll_data: battery.runtime
poll_data: battery.runtime.low
poll_data: battery.packs
poll_data: battery.alarm.threshold
update_info_all: done
dstate_init: sock /var/run/nut/apcsmart-ups open on fd 9
new connection on fd 10
instcmd_chktime: outside window for shutdown.return (1226483025)
Got [NA] after command [shutdown.return]
Got [NA] after command [shutdown.return]
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Communications with UPS re-established
Got [NA] after command [load.off]
Got [NA] after command [shutdown.return]
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Communications with UPS re-established
update_status
Communications with UPS lost - check cabling
Communications with UPS re-established
	(I send another load.off command here which succeeds)
	(at this point I get a console broadcast that I'm on battery)
poll_data: battery.runtime
update_info_normal: done
	(send a load.on command which succeeds)
	(console broadcast that I'm on line power)
	(try another load.off command which fails)
instcmd_chktime: outside window for load.off (46)
...	(I ctrl-C)
Signal 2: exiting

--
Jon Povey, Design Engineer
jon.povey at racelogic.co.uk | +44(0)1280 825983

Racelogic is a limited company registered in England. Registered number 2743719 .
Registered Office Unit 10, Swan Business Centre, Osier Way, Buckingham, Bucks, MK18 1TB .
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is intended by Racelogic Ltd for the use of the named individual or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email so that the sender's address records can be corrected. The views expressed by the sender of this communication do not necessarily represent those of Racelogic Ltd. Please note that Racelogic reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications passing through its network