[Nut-upsuser] I Need help configuring my UPS- Noobie.

John @ BER Ltd john at ber.net.nz
Sun Nov 16 10:14:15 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm at my wits end and need help regarding my UPS. I am a newbie to Linux
(10 months) and need help with trying to configure my UPS to my Linux SME
server.
I have little or no experience with Bash and am finding it overwhelming when
it comes to trying to configure my UPS.
 I have installed my UPS to my Linux SME server and have installed my driver
for it. At best I think its running but not configured properly.
The UPS is connected via USB and am using the megatec-usb driver.
I am able to run the upsmon command and it gives me all the relevant info
about the UPS-charge voltage/input/output etc...

Broadcast message from nut (Sun Nov 16 23:05:08 2008):

Communications with UPS UPS at localhost established

Broadcast message from nut (Sun Nov 16 23:05:08 2008):

Communications with UPS UPS at localhost established

[root at server etc]# upsc UPS at localhost
battery.charge: 95.0
battery.voltage: 13.50
battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
driver.name: megatec_usb
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
driver.version: 2.2.0-
driver.version.internal: 1.5.4
input.frequency: 50.0
input.voltage: 235.0
input.voltage.fault: 165.0
input.voltage.maximum: 244.0
input.voltage.minimum: 218.0
output.voltage: 235.0
output.voltage.nominal: 225.0
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 0
ups.delay.start: 2
ups.load: 20.0
ups.mfr: KEBO
ups.model: UPS-650VA VER7.03
ups.serial: unknown
ups.status: OL
ups.temperature: 0.0
[root at server etc]#

I keep getting errors from the server regarding loosing and reconnecting
with the UPS appx every 10 mins.

here's the email my server generates...

Communications with UPS UPS at localhost
<https://192.168.0.254/horde/imp/message.php?mailbox=INBOX&index=56795#>
established

Communications with UPS UPS at localhost
<https://192.168.0.254/horde/imp/message.php?mailbox=INBOX&index=56792#>
lost
every 10 minutes...

Can anyone help regarding how to properly configure nut and to edit the
config file. I'm at a lost how to do this within bash- I'm very new to bash
and am only able to use cd,ls, and other very basic command. I run the vi
command to edit the nut config file but just get some kind of weird
display??. Am I beyond help? I'm keen to learn and get all the backup
systems properly sorted on my server. UPS is one and a fail-safe clone
server is another.Can anyone help?

Hope I've made sense, the terminology may not be accurate, please excuse me.

Regards John

-------

Email: john at ber.net.nz