[Nut-upsuser] I Need help configuring my UPS- Noobie.

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:53:52 UTC 2008

Hi John,

2008/11/16 John @ BER Ltd <john at ber.net.nz>:
> Hi,
> I'm at my wits end and need help regarding my UPS. I am a newbie to Linux
> (10 months) and need help with trying to configure my UPS to my Linux SME
> server.
> I have little or no experience with Bash and am finding it overwhelming when
> it comes to trying to configure my UPS.
>  I have installed my UPS to my Linux SME server and have installed my driver
> for it. At best I think its running but not configured properly.
> The UPS is connected via USB and am using the megatec-usb driver.
> I am able to run the upsmon command and it gives me all the relevant info
> about the UPS-charge voltage/input/output etc...
>

> Broadcast message from nut (Sun Nov 16 23:05:08 2008):
>
> Communications with UPS UPS at localhost established
>
> Broadcast message from nut (Sun Nov 16 23:05:08 2008):
>
> Communications with UPS UPS at localhost established
>
> [root at server etc]# upsc UPS at localhost
> battery.charge: 95.0
> battery.voltage: 13.50
> battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
> driver.name: megatec_usb
> driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
> driver.parameter.port: /dev/ttyS0
> driver.version: 2.2.0-
> driver.version.internal: 1.5.4
> input.frequency: 50.0
> input.voltage: 235.0
> input.voltage.fault: 165.0
> input.voltage.maximum: 244.0
> input.voltage.minimum: 218.0
> output.voltage: 235.0
> output.voltage.nominal: 225.0
> ups.beeper.status: enabled
> ups.delay.shutdown: 0
> ups.delay.start: 2
> ups.load: 20.0
> ups.mfr: KEBO
> ups.model: UPS-650VA VER7.03
> ups.serial: unknown
> ups.status: OL
> ups.temperature: 0.0
> [root at server etc]#
>

> I keep getting errors from the server regarding loosing and reconnecting
> with the UPS appx every 10 mins.
>
> here's the email my server generates...
>
> Communications with UPS UPS at localhost
> <https://192.168.0.254/horde/imp/message.php?mailbox=INBOX&index=56795#>
> established
>
> Communications with UPS UPS at localhost
> <https://192.168.0.254/horde/imp/message.php?mailbox=INBOX&index=56792#>
> lost
> every 10 minutes...
>
> Can anyone help regarding how to properly configure nut and to edit the
> config file. I'm at a lost how to do this within bash- I'm very new to bash
> and am only able to use cd,ls, and other very basic command. I run the vi
> command to edit the nut config file but just get some kind of weird
> display??. Am I beyond help? I'm keen to learn and get all the backup
> systems properly sorted on my server. UPS is one and a fail-safe clone
> server is another.Can anyone help?
>
> Hope I've made sense, the terminology may not be accurate, please excuse me.

if possible, you should first update to NUT 2.2.2 since it might help
in fixing your issue.
otherwise, have a look at upsd.conf manpage (MAXAGE value) and
upsmon.conf manpage (DEADTIME value)
increasing these to 20 (seconds) should be enough since the staleness
is within 1 second.

btw, I'm (we're) interested in more info on your model (exact name,
USB VendorID and ProductID), for the compat list.
we recently have had some discussions about Kebo...

Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com