[Nut-upsuser] MGE Pulsar EX over serial problem (FreeBSD)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:03:04 UTC 2008

Hi Daniel,

2008/11/18 Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au>:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2008 19:57:23 Arnaud Quette wrote
>> a small update... sorry for the delay!
>
> No problem :)

thanks for your kindness

>> > Yes I got the sorry tale from our wholesaler when it happened. No real
>> > effect except some names change slightly :)
>>
>> I can tell you that it hasn't been easy to switch between 2 giant
>> groups, and adapt/change everything within a year...
>> but that's another point, which is not the topic.
>
> Hmm, hopefully the end user disruption is minimal :)
>
>> I've had a chance to test yesterday a similar US model (Pulsar EX 1000
>> RT2U), and have not been able to reproduce the problem :-(
>
> Bugger.. It is quite annoying for us because we can't get the UPS model
> locally so testing is a real pain.

I trust you ;-)

>> but it was with a Linux system!
>> I've installed a FreeBSD into VirtualBox, but haven't yet completed
>> this install (what's the right command to install nut btw?)
>
> Install FreeBSD then reboot and login (as root, or su)
> Update your ports tree with "portsnap fetch" and then "portsnap extract".
> After that install NUT by doing..
> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/nut
> make install
>
> Config files go into /usr/local/etc/nut, driver binaries
> into /usr/local/libexec/nut

thanks for your directions, that did it.

>> I'll have to do some FreeBSD testing, but if I can't reproduce it
>> again, I'll possibly need an access to one of the faulty unit (is it
>> possible?).
>
> Hmm I doubt it :(
> I could certainly run test programs and generate comms logs for you. The
> problematic units are not owned by us - we maintain them for our customers.

a few more questions:
- does this happens with *all* the US units?
- is there anything special with these setups (like the UPS bundled in
a bigger packager, with possible EMI...)?
- can you try adding "notification = 1" (this will disable
notifications from the UPS, and keep only the polling) to the ups.conf
definition, and restart the driver to see if it's better?
- can you forward the outputs from mge-shut too (if possible with and
without the notification flag)?

thanks,
Arnaud
--