[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-lite Omni VS1000

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Mon Nov 24 08:02:49 UTC 2008

Citeren Barb Smith <mystified at satx.rr.com>:

> I just used upsdrvctl shutdown.  I don't care if it reboots or not.

In that case, you'll probably be fine. The 'upsdrvctl shutdown'
command is only used to switch off the UPS and make it restart again
when the power returns. In case of unattended systems, you'll need
that to prevent them from staying off after a power failure. But if
you are protecting a desktop computer, you'll be fine without this.

> I'm
> just concerned about power failure.  Is there another way to check to see
> if this will shutdown when the battery runs low?

The only way to check this, is to simulate a power failure and watch
what happens. If you know the load you computer, you might power it
from the wall and replace the UPS load by incandescent lamps. About
100-150 W is usually a reasonable value. Pull the plug on the input of
the UPS and see if the computer shuts down before the lamps go out
(ie, the UPS output loses power).

> Is there anything else I need to do?

You might want to check the above, to see if there is enough time to
shutdown your computer cleanly between the moment your UPS signals low
battery and the moment it switches off. There is no way to tell this
without running this test.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list