[Nut-upsuser] MGE Pulsar EX over serial problem (FreeBSD)

Daniel O'Connor doconnor at gsoft.com.au
Tue Oct 28 03:21:24 UTC 2008

We have several systems in remote locations and I have found that the ones in
the US are having issues.. We are an Australian company and can't source a
110V UPS locally so we arrange to have one bought for the site when it's
installed.

It seems that in the US we are getting "Pulsar EX 1500" UPSs but locally we
buy "Pulsar 1500". NUT seems to work find with the later but the former loses
communication very often.

When it loses comms I see stuff like this..
entering shut_get_report(id: 2f, len: 1800)
shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
entering shut_get_report(id: 20, len: 1800)
shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
entering shut_get_report(id: 07, len: 1800)
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
shut_wait_ack(): Unknown byte 24
shut_wait_ack(): ACK received
entering shut_get_report(id: 0a, len: 1800)
shut_wait_ack(): Unknown byte 132
shut_wait_ack(): Unknown byte 136
shut_wait_ack(): Unknown byte 7
shut_wait_ack(): Unknown byte 119
Max tries reached while waiting for ACK, still getting errors
entering shut_ups_start()

I added the 'unknown byte x' stuff - I wanted to see what it was throwing
away :)

Does anyone have such a UPS working with NUT + RS232?
It seems to me that the SHUT parser may be having difficulty with it but I
guess it's possible data is being dropped.. I don't see any kernel messages
about full FIFO's or dropped characters (and the same hardware & OS works
with the 240V units)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum