[Nut-upsuser] MGE Ellipse 500 cable config

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:41:15 UTC 2008

Hi Harri,

2008/8/9 Harri Järvi <harri.jarvi at ajatus.org>:
> I have trouble in getting communication work with MGE Ellipse 500. I
> bought it second hand and I don't have the cable for it.
>
> How do I know if it's the Serial or USB model? The serial number of the
> unit is: 769B16015. I suspect it is the serial version as the label next
> to the RJ11 stands "com port", but I can't be 100% sure.
>
> MGE Ellipse serial cable pinout can be found here:
>
> http://eu1.networkupstools.org/cables/mgeups.html
>
> I tried making the cable, but the pin numbering on the modular jack
> (RJ12) wasn't clear on the page so I tried it both ways. Neither seems
> to work for me. Which way is the right way?
>
> I may need some help resolving this.
>
> Trying minicom on /dev/ttyS0 with 2400 bps 8n1 I can see that anything
> I type, gets echoed back character by character (in both pin
> configurations I tried). I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing.
> Nevertheless I can't get it to react in any other way.
>
> This is what I get in both configurations:
>
> # /lib/nut/mge-shut -a mge-shut -D -D -D -D
> Network UPS Tools - MGE UPS SYSTEMS/SHUT driver 0.66 (2.2.2)
> debug level is '4'
> entering upsdrv_initups()
> entering setline(1)
>
> entering shut_ups_start()
>
> sent: (1 bytes) => 16
> Syncing and notification setting done
> Communication with UPS established
> entering shut_get_descriptor(n 21, 9)
> entering shut_packet_send (8)
> shut_checksum = af
> sent: (11 bytes) => 81 88 81 06 00 21 00 00 09 00 af
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 1
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 2
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Retry = 3
> sent: (1 bytes) => 15
> shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
> shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
> shut_wait_ack(): NACK received
> shut_wait_ack(): Nothing received
> Max tries reached while waiting for ACK, still getting errors
> Unable to get HID Descriptor
> #

you're right that the cabling info are unclear and for some even wrong.
you'll find attached what you need.

FYI, the RJ12 version is pure serial (while it's counterpart is a USB
connector).
The more recent version, with versatile cabling, use RJ45. Then the
cable is either RJ45 -> USB or RJ45 -> DB9.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - MGE Office Protection Systems - http://www.mgeops.com