[Nut-upsuser] nut on mac os x

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 09:00:43 UTC 2009

2009/8/10 Christian Huldt <christian at solvare.se>

> Christian Huldt
> christian at solvare.se
> +46704612207
>

> 9 aug 2009 kl. 21.55 skrev Charles Lepple:
>
>  On Aug 9, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Christian Huldt wrote:
>>
>>  Is there some smart way of not having ioupsd claming the device on mac os
>>> x?
>>>

>> My only working Macs (at the moment) are laptops, so I haven't had to try
>> this in a while. What errors do you get if you just try to run usbhid-ups?
>>

> "Can't claim the device" even if I run as root

iirc, there was no detach_device() primitive outside of linux.
so your only chance might be to kill ioupsd as part of the NUT startup
script.
test this with caution though, since I don't know how ioupsd will behave
(auto respawn, shutdown the system, ...?)

>  Or having nut talk to ioupsd?
>>>

>> We don't have code for this, but it wouldn't be completely out of the
>> question.
>>
>>  (/usr/ibexec/ioupsd is the builtin ups daemon, but I need the machine to
>>> tell the other machine about the UPS status, and ioupsd does not do
>>> networking AFAIK...)
>>>

>> Out of curiosity, which version of OS X are you using?
>>

> 10.5.7 client
>
> I'm not sure of the consequences of removing disabling ioupsd, but I would
> expect it to be restored by software updates at an unpredictable rate...

quite probable! that's why I mentioned the "kill hem all" approach.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://www.eaton.com/mgeops