[Nut-upsuser] Serial comm errors with bcmxcp on HP R3000 XR

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Thu Aug 27 17:01:39 UTC 2009

Hi David,

> I have setup nut-2.4.1 with the bcmxcp driver for my HP R3000 XR unit
> and although it appears to work, I receive the following sorts of errors
> in syslog:
>
> Aug 27 10:33:05 sv18 bcmxcp[6373]: Communications with UPS lost: Receive
> error (data): got 0 bytes instead of 64!!!
> Aug 27 10:33:15 sv18 bcmxcp[6373]: Communications with UPS lost: Receive
> error (data): got 0 bytes instead of 64!!!
> Aug 27 10:38:57 sv18 bcmxcp[6373]: Communications with UPS lost: Receive
> error (data): got 0 bytes instead of 64!!!
> Aug 27 10:40:04 sv18 bcmxcp[6373]: Communications with UPS lost: Receive
> error (Request command): 0!!!
> Aug 27 10:43:38 sv18 bcmxcp[6373]: Communications with UPS lost: Receive
> error (Request command): 0!!!

This is communication errors. The protocol is a binary protocol with multi
packet, and header and checksum.

And instead of guessing that packets and information is right, the
communication is tested for any fault condition.

So the first error:  The header say that the packet should contain 64 byte,
but it return 0.

The second say that you have sent a request command but the blocknumber
returned is not the same as the command.

> After about 15 hours the driver exits and has to be restarted.

To many errors maybe.

> Here is my ups.conf:
>
> [ups2]
>   driver = bcmxcp
>   port = /dev/ttyS1
>   desc = "HP R3000 XR"
>   baud_rate = 19200

OK.
> The system is running Slackware Linux 12.1 and nut was built from source.
>
> Any ideas?

So check your cabling. Use hi grade serial cables. Look out for ground loops
in the equipment.

For my information you may run this command after halting the upsmon and upsd
and upsdrv.

/path/to/bcmxcp -DD -a ups2 -u root

Kill it by ctrl-c after it start repeating the outlet number.

This make the driver spit out lot of debug info. Copy the info and mail
it to me.

Regards
Kjell