[Nut-upsuser] USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd usbhid-ups

Thomas Gutzler thomas.gutzler at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:54:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

took me a bit longer but I wanted to make sure that the numbers are
right. Unfortunately, I don't think they're of much help

Arjen de Korte wrote:

> Interestingly, it takes a lot longer for the first errors to occur. It
> takes more than two hours for the first time the connection is lost
> (which is not unusual). This may be a coincidence, but if not, we would
> like to know why.
>
> You made two changes now. First, the trunk version handles reading
> reports slightly different from what we did before (although I don't
> think this really helps) and second the change of no longer ignoring
> interrupt reports. I suspect the latter is what makes the difference, so
> could you try again with an unmodified driver (straight from the SVN
> trunk)? If I'm right, this will show the same behavior as before.

- usb hub 3 port 1 is the 'old' ups which was running version
2.4.1-2ubuntu4 all the time
- usb hub 4 port 1 is the 'new' ups which was running different
versions. I've done 3 full days with each version:

1) svn revision 2141, original
# zgrep EMI syslog.0 | wc -l
12
# zgrep EMI syslog.1.gz | wc -l
8
# zgrep EMI syslog.2.gz | wc -l
14
All of those were for hub 4 port 1

# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.0 | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
34
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.0 | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
176
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.1.gz | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
17
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.1.gz | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
46
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.2.gz | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
17
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.2.gz | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
101

2) svn revision 2142, line 773 modified
# zgrep EMI syslog.4.gz | wc -l
8
# zgrep EMI syslog.5.gz | wc -l
11
# zgrep EMI syslog.6.gz | wc -l
10
Again, all of those were for hub 4 port 1

# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.4.gz | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
32
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.4.gz | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
154
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.5.gz | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
24
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.5.gz | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
86
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.6.gz | grep "usb 3-1" | wc -l
20
# zgrep USBDEVFS_CONTROL syslog.6.gz | grep "usb 4-1" | wc -l
74

In summary:
- no EMI (port re-connect) for the 'old' ups
- 68 and 76 USBDEVFS_CONTROL errors for the 'old' ups over the first and
second period
- 323 and 314 USBDEVFS_CONTROL errors for the 'new' ups over the first
and second period