[Nut-upsuser] APC UPS won't restart after power outage

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Dec 23 15:14:10 UTC 2009

Citeren Ole Hoppe <ole.hoppe op gmail.com>:

> Thank you so much for your prompt explanations. Had selected the UPS
> merely by load requirements not knowing that such seemingly basic
> functionality may not be supported by entry-level UPSs. We can live
> with that.

Well, according to the info on the APC website for this device, it
should support automatic switch on of connected devices. But we have
no idea how this should work.

> Ran the driver in debug mode, which after dumping a lot of variables
> etc. finally said:
>
> Initiating UPS shutdown
> upsdrv_shutdown...
> instcmd(shutdown.return, [NULL])
> find_nut_info: unknown info type: shutdown.return
>
> instcmd(load.on.delay, [NULL])
> find_nut_info: unknown info type: load.on.delay
>
> instcmd: info element unavailable load.on.delay

The above is expected. The upsc output already told us that startup
with delay isn't available.

> instcmd(shutdown.reboot, [NULL])
> Can't set Report 19: Broken pipe
> instcmd: FAILED

I would have expected that the UPS would understand this command. If
it does, it has a really strange way of responding.

> instcmd(load.off.delay, [NULL])
> Report[set]: (3 bytes) => 12 14 00
> upsdrv_cleanup...

As a last resort, we tell the UPS to shutdown the load with a 20
second delay. This seems to work, but sadly won't restart it upon
return of the mains.

> It seems to me to confirm what you said, except for the "Broken
> pipe" for "shutdown.reboot": Is this a "fixable" communication
> error, or also driver's attempt to use an unsupported feature?

I really don't know the answer to the above. If someone knows how to
make this UPS shutdown the load and return automatically when the
power returns, I would be happy to code this into the apc-hid
subdriver. But I don´t own such a device, so I can´t find this out
myself.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list