[Nut-upsuser] APC UPS won't restart after power outage

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Thu Dec 24 14:07:48 UTC 2009

Citeren Ole Hoppe <ole.hoppe op gmail.com>:

> Of course they want you to purchase their PowerChute for Linux, so
> this is of course not satisfactory. But maybe you can extract
> another alternative to instruct the UPS for a shutdown/reboot?

As I already told in a previous message, we attempt several methods.
One of them is sending the UPS a reboot command. The problem is, that
either the UPS doesn't understand this command (maybe it doesn't
support the delay time) or NUT doesn't understand the reply (broken
pipe). The only thing we can do then, is to fallback to the third
shutdown option we support.

> Would it be of help if you got the driver's complete dump?

No. We already know that this doesn't work. What we need here, is a
usbsnoop dump of APC's software shutting down the UPS. It's irrelevant
which OS is running at the time, so if you only have a Windows driver
controlling it, that's fine too. Chances are that APC is sending this
command multiple times with a delay in between or that 'broken pipe'
is actually a sign that it is working as intended, but there is no way
to tell without such a usbsnoop dump.

Generally speaking, if being able to monitor your UPS, it would be
much easier to choose one from a vendor that actively supports NUT (at
least four stars in the hardware compatibility list). APC has no
models with this rating.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list