[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 21:59:40 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009, Arjen de Korte wrote:

2.4.1 now installed, using default ./configure
I had to make a bunch of directories & move all the .conf files cuz the
config path seems scrambled, its /usr/local/ups/etc, s/b /usr/local/etc/ups
IMO.  Bug?

>The line
>
>     /path/to/usbhid-ups -DDD -a yourups
>
>should result in a continuous flow of information. Dump the output of
>the first 60 seconds in a logfile, gzip it and attach the result to a
>message.
>
>It might also help to upgrade to a more recent version of NUT (2.4.1),
>since the version you're running now (2.2.2) seems to be quite outdated.
>
>Best regards, Arjen
>
>PS  Don't post strace output, since unless you know exactly what
>you're looking for, it will just wastes bandwidth. The right amount of
>-D options is easier on our eyes.

The above line still fails, but a different failure, a snip from the end of
its output when the above line is executed from the drivers src dir:
-------------------------
Checking device (050D/0751) (001/005)
- VendorID: 050d
- ProductID: 0751
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 001
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
Can't claim USB device [050d:0751]: could not detach kernel driver from
interface 0: Operation not permitted
[root at coyote drivers]#
---------------------------
And indeed, ttyUSB0 is owned by heyu on this box. ;-)  Or is it referring to
the hiddev0 and hidraw0, which only exists after the data cable is freshly
plugged in.  A more verbose description of 'USB device' would help to define
what the error really is. ;)

This error is identical regardless of the user launching it, root included.

Thanks Arjen.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Experience varies directly with equipment ruined.